Not the answer you need?
Register and ask your own question!

Cannot add remote MySQL instance due to Connection check failed

gdsotirovgdsotirov Current User Role Contributor
On a fresh PMM 2.6.1 installation I'm not able to add a remote MySQL instance, because of connection check failures. I've followed the procedure for running PMM server via Docker and I have set up a user on the MySQL server instance as described in Creating a MySQL User Account to Be Used with PMM. My Docker host is a fully updated CentOS 8.1 virtual machine and my MySQL server instance is on a physical machine in the same network segment. I have access from the virtual machine to the MySQL sever with the pmm's user and password. From within the container I have ping to the MySQL server instance. However, when adding new remote MySQL instance I'm getting either of the following errors:
  • Connection check failed: dial tcp 192.168.0.1:3306: i/o timeout.
  • Connection check failed: dial tcp 192.168.0.1:3306: connect: no route to host.
What could be the problem?

Comments

• daniil.bazhenovdaniil.bazhenov Percona Admin Role, API
    edited May 25
    Hi, @gdsotirov
    Thank you for your question. This could be a bug. Could you create a task in Jira (https://jira.percona.com/projects/PMM/issues), our developers will investigate it.
    Thank you.
  • gdsotirovgdsotirov Current User Role Contributor
    @daniil.bazhenov It could be something with the configuration of the container or the host, because I meanwhile noticed that if I run the container with --network=host there are no errors when adding the same MySQL instance. I'm still doubtful it's a bug, because I use the official container and followed the official procedure, which are expected to work.

@gdsotirov
    Yeah, you might have a bad password or some kind of network error. 
    P.S. I recommended Jira, because engineers can investigate the problem there. 
    @daniil.bazhenov To me it seems that PMM is not even getting to password verification. Otherwise, I ensured that the user/password work from the same host where the container runs. And also as I wrote before it works just fine if I run the container with --network=host option, but this is not my preference except for testing. If found no such problem reported in JIRA or elsewhere on Internet, so I still wonder what could be the problem in my case. What else I could try and/or check before reporting a bug?

P.S. I have pulled the container image from Docker Hub and executed the procedure at least twice to be sure I haven't mixed up something the first time.

@gdsotirov The fastest way to create a task at Jira, then the team will check it out. It's free :) 
    Fair enough. Issue PMM-6041 created.

• steve.hoffmansteve.hoffman Percona Percona Staff Role Beginner
    So this feels like network issues so here's a few things to try (starting basic and going up from there):
    Are you able to monitor clients using the pmm-client (vs the remote monitoring)?  
    Can your docker host ping the server in question?  If you can ping the server can the docker host telnet to that server on port 3306 (telnet <servername> 3306)?  If no to either (or both) I'm wondering if there's a firewall in the way or possibly mysql's not listening to a port but instead bound to a socket.  
    I'm confused by the "no route to host" which typically says the pmm server either doesn't have a network connection OR the routing tables are messed up and trying to get to the 192.168.0.x network via the wrong interface (maybe check to make sure your subnet masks are correct on both mysql server and docker host?  I had this be the issue once...chased my tail for HOURS only to find I fat-fingered 255.255.255.50 or something silly) 
    Lets start there and I might have more thoughts based on what you discover.  
    edited June 12
    Are you able to monitor clients using the pmm-client (vs the remote monitoring)?
    No, because the client is not available for the OS on which the MySQL server is running.
    Can your docker host ping the server in question?
    Yes, as I indicated in my original post I could ping the server from the docker host (CentOS) and from inside the container. Here are the two examples:
    [[email protected] ~]# ping -c 1 192.168.0.1
    [[email protected] opt]# ping -c 1 192.168.0.1
    If you can ping the server can the docker host telnet to that server on port 3306 (telnet <servername> 3306)?  If no to either (or both) I'm wondering if there's a firewall in the way or possibly mysql's not listening to a port but instead bound to a socket.
    Yes, as I indicated in one of my follow ups "I ensured that the user/password work from the same host where the container runs". Here's an example:
    [[email protected] ~]# mysql -h 192.168.0.1 -u pmm -p
    And with telnet:
    [[email protected] ~]# telnet 192.168.0.1 3306
    I cannot try the same from the container, because neither command mysql nor telnet is available.
    [[email protected] opt]# mysql
    bash: mysql: command not found
    There is no firewall and both the docker host and the MySQL server are in the same network segment. The MySQL server is well listening on the network port as confirmed above.
    I'm confused by the "no route to host" which typically says the pmm server either doesn't have a network connection OR the routing tables are messed up and trying to get to the 192.168.0.x network via the wrong interface (maybe check to make sure your subnet masks are correct on both mysql server and docker host?
    I'm confused as well, so I decided to start this post :)
    On the docker host there are the following interfaces:
    [[email protected] ~]# ifconfig
    And on the MySQL server host:
    [email protected]:~# ifconfig
    I do not think the problem are the network masks, because the MySQL server is well accessible from anywhere on my network.
    Apologies for missing some of those details in the beginning!  
    since you're comfortable being inside the docker container, it's based on CentOS so you can 
    yum install telnet mysql-client

to be able to diagnose.  Because this works with --network=host I wonder if somehow the iptables NAT rules are preventing access (don't ask me how...just trying to think through what is between the container and the destination host).  would you mind posting the output of 

iptables -L -t nat -nv
    and it might be helpful to see if something like SELinux is stomping on docker somehow: 

iptables -L -nv

I have added a few remote instances on my test boxes with no issue (well had to change the grant statements to allow the pmm user to connect from server but the error reflected that it was a permission denied vs couldn't connect).  

Another place to look is in /srv/logs/pmm-managed.log when you're trying to add in case there's more details there vs the screen message.  I think it's safe to say that if you can connect to the port inside the docker container then it's clearly a PMM software issue and I'll escalate accordingly...if you could attach the server logs to your jira ticket right after the failure (PMM--> Settings --> Diagnostics --> Download Server Logs) that'll help see what's happening and where.  

edited June 15
    I'm not sure why my code snippets in previous post are visualized as one line. I'm not used to this editor. Sorry about that.
    So I tried to install telnet into the container and had many "Could not resolve host: mirror.centos.org; Unknown error" like errors as yum tried different mirrors, but it ultimately failed. So I tried the following inside the container:

[[email protected] opt]# ping mirror.centos.org
    ping: mirror.centos.org: Name or service not known
    [[email protected] opt]# ping disney.com
    ping: disney.com: Name or service not known

And then on the host:

[[email protected] ~]# ping -c 1 mirror.centos.org
    PING mirror.centos.org(2604:eb80:1:4::10 (2604:eb80:1:4::10)) 56 data bytes
    ^CFrom 2001:470:7038:1979::1: icmp_seq=1 Destination unreachable: No route

--- mirror.centos.org ping statistics ---
    1 packets transmitted, 0 received, +1 errors, 100% packet loss, time 0ms

[[email protected] ~]# ping disney.com
    PING disney.com (130.211.198.204) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 204.198.211.130.bc.googleusercontent.com (130.211.198.204): icmp_seq=1 ttl=104 time=139 ms
    64 bytes from 204.198.211.130.bc.googleusercontent.com (130.211.198.204): icmp_seq=2 ttl=104 time=139 ms
    64 bytes from 204.198.211.130.bc.googleusercontent.com (130.211.198.204): icmp_seq=3 ttl=104 time=139 ms
    64 bytes from 204.198.211.130.bc.googleusercontent.com (130.211.198.204): icmp_seq=4 ttl=104 time=139 ms
    ^C
    --- disney.com ping statistics ---
    4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 6ms

So why is my container not able to resolve hosts? I'm using my network's internal DNS server which of course uses as forwarders my ISP's DNSes and then Google's. The DNS server works just fine as tested from several other hosts (Linux and Windows) from the same network.
    I'll keep digging, but I'm sharing meanwhile if anyone has ideas.
    P.S. I removed the Code format as it seems to visualize only the first line.

• PeterPeter Percona CEO Percona Moderator Role
    Note mirror.centos.org resolved to IPv6 IP  while disney.com is IPv4 - could there be some issue with ipv6 routing in your setup ?
    Yeah, I'll have to check this later today. My network is IPv4 only. Both hosts resolve properly on the host, but not in the container.
    OK. IPv6 routing doesn't currently work in my IPv4 network. I got promised that the problem would be worked out soon. However, this was an issue found out as I was trying to install telnet in the container to probe the MySQL server port. I cannot assume that PMM server is IPv6 only and this is why I cannot add MySQL instances for monitoring.
    Have not had the time to write earlier, but I already solved it. The problem was in firewalld, which wasn't allowing DNS requests from the container. After I fixed this I was able to add remote MySQL instances without any problem.

Sometimes those darn firewalls are too effective 😆. Glad you were able to figure it out!