I have found out that on Ubuntu 18.04, the package:
percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.7

is missing the Key Vault plugin binary
keyring_vault.so

This happens installing either
percona-release_0.1-6.bionic_all.deb
or
percona-release_0.1-5.bionic_all.deb

The same packages on an Ubuntu 16.04 install said plugin.

If I go on "regular" Percona Server download wizard,

the suggested percona-server-server-5.7_5.7.21-21-3.bionic_amd64.deb

comes with that plugin.

Needless to say, if I extract
keyring_vault.so
from that regular Percona Server package and copy it into the PXC plugins directory, when I try restarting the server I get all sorts of typical errors due to mismatching binary versions.

In fact, even apt updating the packages, the PXC mysqld version stays as follows:
mysqld  Ver 5.7.20-18-18 for debian-linux-gnu on x86_64 (Percona XtraDB Cluster (GPL), Release rel18, Revision e19a6b7, WSREP version 29.24, wsrep_29.24)

whereas the regular Percona Server Package installs 5.7.21-21-3.

What can I do to get a functional key vault plugin in my PXC?

Comments

• tplavcictplavcic QA Engineer Percona Staff Role
    Hi dfumagalli,

seems to me you have installed PXC from Ubuntu repository and there keyring_vault.so is not shipped as I see here: https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.7/filelist

The thing is Percona still didn't publish packages for PXC 5.7 on Ubuntu Bionic (you can check that on downloads page (https://www.percona.com/downloads/Percona-XtraDB-Cluster-LATEST/) and that's why your version doesn't get upgraded to 5.7.21 (no packages).
    Also I see you're trying to mix plugins from PS to PXC which I wouldn't recommend.
    IMHO just wait for Percona to release proper packages for Ubuntu Bionic, although not sure why the ones from Ubuntu repository not include keyring_vault.so plugin (maybe a bug in the build).
  • dfumagallidfumagalli Contributor Inactive User Role Novice
    tplavcic wrote: »
    Hi dfumagalli,

seems to me you have installed PXC from Ubuntu repository and there keyring_vault.so is not shipped as I see here: https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.7/filelist

The thing is Percona still didn't publish packages for PXC 5.7 on Ubuntu Bionic (you can check that on downloads page (https://www.percona.com/downloads/Percona-XtraDB-Cluster-LATEST/) and that's why your version doesn't get upgraded to 5.7.21 (no packages).
    Also I see you're trying to mix plugins from PS to PXC which I wouldn't recommend.
    IMHO just wait for Percona to release proper packages for Ubuntu Bionic, although not sure why the ones from Ubuntu repository not include keyring_vault.so plugin (maybe a bug in the build).

Hello tplavcic,

The need to install Percona PXC came from a task I have been assigned, that is setup an enterprise infrastructure from zero, including HA database servers. I am not in a hurry, as the data warehouse needs to be ready in 6 months, but I thought it'd be good to deploy Ubuntu 18.04. By 6 months it'll be stable enough and 18.04 compatible PXC should be as well.

I installed the Percona repositories by following the Percona instructions at: Configuring Percona Repository on Debian and Ubuntu. Therefore, the repository should be Percona's.
    I did not find Ubuntu 18.04 as one of the possible targets in the download page, but your repo has two "Bionic" deb packages (percona-release_0.1-5.bionic_all.deb / percona-release_0.1-6.bionic_all.deb) that include both PS and PXC.

Having PXC shipped together with Ubuntu 18.04 compliant PS (same meta-package), gives the impression PXC is compliant as well.

Now, I did not have extensive time to double check if PXC worked perfectly on Ubuntu 18.04. The basics (SST and basically everything I checked) looked allright, the only problem is the lack of vault plugin, which I need to use in order to help with GDPR compliance.
  • tplavcictplavcic QA Engineer Percona Staff Role
    The instructions should be ok - the thing is Percona Bionic repo is in place and has some packages (other products) inside, just not PXC yet.
    Another thing I want to make sure you are aware is that keyring_vault.so plugin is not GA yet in PXC (it is in beta) - it will probably be GA in one of incoming releases so make sure to check blogpost and documentation updates.