Not the answer you need?
Register and ask your own question!

PMM performance tuning in OVA server

jpagejpage EntrantCurrent User Role Beginner
Hi, I'd like to improve the 'PMM mysql queries' dashboard time loading especially when I select different time ranges than the default one.

Our PMM-server is deployed from the OVA file.

So far, I've modified the file /etc/percona-server.conf.d/mysqld.cnf setting 1G for innodb_buffer_pool_size but I've not found a significant improvement.

I was thinking in increasing the memory assigned to Prometheus but the FAQ only explain how to do this if you have a docker installation.

I've looking in the file /etc/prometheus.yml and it has the comment "Managed by pmm-managed. DO NOT EDIT."

Reading that, will my changes to /etc/percona-server.conf.d/mysqld.cnf lost in the next upgrade?.

How can I increase the memory assigned to Prometheus? It can help to improve the dashboard time loading?

A plus question: Again FAQ only explain how to control data retention for PMM in a docker instance. How can I do that in the server deployed from the ova file?

Comments

• jpagejpage Entrant Current User Role Beginner
    Nobody using OVA server? Any help would be much appreciated.
  • hostedpowerhostedpower Entrant Current User Role Supporter
    Indeed the documentation is lacking :(

I would expect this file has to be modified: /etc/supervisord.d/pmm.ini

However I'm unsure about the exact mechanism behind it if we make modifications...
  • lorraine.pocklingtonlorraine.pocklington Percona Community Manager Legacy User Role Patron
    Hi hostedpower, jpage

First of all, sorry for being a little slow with my response, and thank you for your comments. I am going to raise a documentation request to see if we can add some clarity in this area. As you mention, we cover docker memory management with the METRICS_MEMORY variable but not for virtual appliance. There may be a reason for this that I am personally not aware of, but if I raise a request then we should get some clarity on that.

Meanwhile...

Can I just check that by 'PMM MySQL Queries' dashboard you mean the second one on the attached image, please
    _PMM Query Analytics

?

Thank you!
  • hostedpowerhostedpower Entrant Current User Role Supporter
    I assume he means that indeed, still wondering about how to change the settings for the ova appliance. Any more news about that perhaps? :)