Not the answer you need?
Register and ask your own question!

Unable to upgrade percona server 5.7 on ubuntu 16.04

samwillsamwill EntrantInactive User Role Beginner
Full output of `sudo apt-get install percona-server-server-5.7` below. Would appreciate tips on how to troubleshoot as nothing I've found elsewhere has helped
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
bsdtar bundler dkms fonts-lato javascript-common libgmp-dev libgmpxx4ldbl libgsoap8 libjs-jquery libllvm4.0 libllvm4.0:i3
linux-headers-4.10.0-35-generic linux-headers-4.10.0-37 linux-headers-4.10.0-37-generic linux-headers-4.10.0-38 linux-hea
linux-headers-4.13.0-26 linux-headers-4.13.0-26-generic linux-image-4.10.0-33-generic linux-image-4.10.0-35-generic linux
linux-image-extra-4.10.0-33-generic linux-image-extra-4.10.0-35-generic linux-image-extra-4.10.0-37-generic linux-image-e
linux-signed-image-4.10.0-33-generic linux-signed-image-4.10.0-35-generic linux-signed-image-4.10.0-37-generic linux-sign
rake ruby ruby-bundler ruby-childprocess ruby-dev ruby-did-you-mean ruby-domain-name ruby-erubis ruby-ffi ruby-http-cooki
ruby-net-telnet ruby-netrc ruby-nokogiri ruby-power-assert ruby-rb-inotify ruby-rest-client ruby-sqlite3 ruby-test-unit r
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be upgraded:
percona-server-server-5.7
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 43 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/25.2 MB of archives.
After this operation, 575 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 506584 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../percona-server-server-5.7_5.7.21-20-1.xenial_amd64.deb ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/percona-server-server-5.7_5.7.21-20-1.xenial_amd64.deb (--unpack):
subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1

* Percona Server is distributed with several useful UDF (User Defined Function) from Percona Toolkit.
* Run the following commands to create these functions:

mysql -e "CREATE FUNCTION fnv1a_64 RETURNS INTEGER SONAME 'libfnv1a_udf.so'"
mysql -e "CREATE FUNCTION fnv_64 RETURNS INTEGER SONAME 'libfnv_udf.so'"
mysql -e "CREATE FUNCTION murmur_hash RETURNS INTEGER SONAME 'libmurmur_udf.so'"

* See http://www.percona.com/doc/percona-server/5.7/management/udf_percona_toolkit.html for more details

initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
insserv: warning: script 'mongod' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: Default-Start undefined, assuming empty start runlevel(s) for script `mongod'
insserv: Default-Stop undefined, assuming empty stop runlevel(s) for script `mongod'
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/percona-server-server-5.7_5.7.21-20-1.xenial_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Comments

• lorraine.pocklingtonlorraine.pocklington Percona Community Manager Legacy User Role Patron
    Can I just check if you are installing Percona Server for MySQL alongside MongoDB?
    If not, if you could just outline what you currently have installed, what you're upgrading from and to, and any other details that might help us understand what's going on, that would be great.
    Thanks!
  • baskinbaskin Entrant Current User Role Beginner
    I'm having also problem to upgrade from 5.7.20 to 5.7.21 with pre-installation script error also. I have made a separate post with details, although it is over 24h on moderation and not displayed
  • samwillsamwill Entrant Inactive User Role Beginner
    Hi lorraine.pocklington apologies, I assumed this site would notify me of replies (it didn't) and I gave up trying to solve this.

In the end, completely shutting down all processes related to SQL, purging the percona-server package in question, and reinstalling from an updated dev environment setup script provided by my company's RelEng team resolved the issue.

But to answer your question in case it can help others, yes. Percona server was installed alongside mongodb, they are two of a number of packages installed by the before mentioned env setup script. I'm not sure what version was initially installed from the script, which I had previously ran about 6 months ago when setting up this new machine, or when things got updated last before this problem occurred
  • lorraine.pocklingtonlorraine.pocklington Percona Community Manager Legacy User Role Patron
    Thank you for the update, it could easily help someone down the track, so that's much appreciated.

Ah - yes, I think you have to opt in for mail notifications, sorry. I'm writing up an intro mail, I will add that in, sorry about that. We will have to see if we can be more explicit asking if you want to opt in. Thanks for the nudge and the feedback.