Not the answer you need?
Register and ask your own question!

xtrabackup restore error (qpress error)

svidalsvidal EntrantCurrent User Role Beginner
Hi,
I am trying to validate a database backup here and while running "xtrabackup --decompress" command, hit this error :
$ xtrabackup --decompress --target-dir=/home/xxxxxxxxxx
xtrabackup version 2.4.9 based on MySQL server 5.7.13 Linux (x86_64) (revision id: a467167cdd4)
180210 01:42:32 [01] decompressing ./xtrabackup_logfile.qp
qpress: Unexpected end of source file -- try the -R flag to recover
Error: decrypt and decompress thread 0 failed.

then I figure out to use "parallel" option, based on its usage on backup step (if this makes sense ...).
But, still :
lot of decompressing messages
180210 01:56:07 [05] decompressing ./mysql/help_category.ibd.qp
in the end ...
Error: decrypt and decompress thread 0 failed.
Error: decrypt and decompress thread 1 failed.
Error: decrypt and decompress thread 2 failed.
Error: decrypt and decompress thread 3 failed.
Error: decrypt and decompress thread 4 failed.

So, my question is : am I hitting some sort of bug or file size limit, qpress issue, xtrabackup wrong setup, etc ?
I am not able to decompress all files in order to perform next step (--copy-back).
thank you!

Comments

• Michael CoburnMichael Coburn Principal Architect, Percona Percona Staff Role
    Hi svidal , can you try running qpress directly against the *.qp files, then run xtrabackup without --decompress option? Looks to me like you have potentially corrupted compressed files (qpress: Unexpected end of source file). Check the command line options as you might need to attempt recovery: http://www.quicklz.com/
  • svidalsvidal Entrant Current User Role Beginner
    Hi Coburn.
    sorry to last that much.
    I have to say that I was able to uncompress everything, so corrupted file hypothesis does not fit. I supposed that is something related to threads usage, maybe short memory available, but I could not verify that.
    I will keep doing some tests, meanwhile if there is more hints, please let me know.
    best regards.
  • Michael CoburnMichael Coburn Principal Architect, Percona Percona Staff Role
    Hi svidal , can you reproduce this error? If so we would welcome a bug report at https://jira.percona.com/projects/PXB

Did you also attempt with qpress directly against the *.qp files? Does it too abort?
  • svidalsvidal Entrant Current User Role Beginner
    Hi Coburn, sorry about last thaaaat much. Yes, at that time, I have ran qpress over all files. But thats does not matter, recently I could retrieve successfully a mysql database from one month back. I have to say this is a outstanding tool. Best regards!
  • coding99coding99 Current User Role Beginner
    unfortunately i am facing a similar problem than svidal, it seems xtrabackup is not able to decompress a full back folder