Not the answer you need?
Register and ask your own question!

Point-in-time recovery

ianbrianbr EntrantCurrent User Role Beginner
Hi all,

I have just upgraded to XtraBackup 2.4 and everything seems to be working well.
I can do a full backup using xtrabackup --backup but am a little lost on how to do a point-in-time recovery.
The documentation seems to say I need to have used the innobackupex program to do the backup but it also says that this program had been deprecated and that I should use the xtrabackup program so I am a little confused.
Reading up on point-in-time recovery in the user manual it only refers to the innobackupex program.
So if I shouldn't be using this program, how do I do a point-in-time recovery?

I would really appreciate some help on this

Thanks in advance

Ian

Comments

• lorraine.pocklingtonlorraine.pocklington Percona Community Manager Legacy User Role Patron
    Hi Ian
    We posted a blog just this week, I wonder if this helps? https://www.percona.com/blog/2017/10...ery-right-way/
    There are also some useful comments at the end of the post that point to other sources of information that are worthwhile reading.
    On your query about innobackupex - that command is deprecated but it still works so you could reliably follow the example to do a point-in-time-recovery .
    The xtrabackup documentation is currently being revised to fully document the xtrabackup commands.
    So thank you for highlighting this, and I will make sure that it's on the list for update.
  • bugsbunnybugsbunny Entrant Current User Role Beginner
    Hi,
    The documentation explains the procedure to make a full backup followed by incremental backups and the restore section explains how to restore all the backups and --copy-back or --move-back them to the data directory.
    I understood that procedure, implemented it successfully (on test server) and recovered the database fully using the same method.
    But what I don't understand is that,
    when it comes to innobackupex, can I use the backups (full and incremental) made by xtrabackup to make a point in time recovery using innobackupex or not? or do I have to make a separate backup for innobackupex and then copy the binary logs and then perform a Point in Time Recovery?
    I mean it's bit confusing like ianbr mentioned.
    I am a new MySQL user and very new to Percona too. I have just downloaded the latest xtrabackup documentation 2.4.10 and I will go through it now for any updates on using the xtrabackup for PITR. Thanking you.