Not the answer you need?
Register and ask your own question!

xtrabackup vs. MEB

cmullicancmullican ContributorCurrent User Role Beginner
We have recently decided to end our MySQL Enterprise contract. We're currently testing a Percona cluster, and will likely switch to this architecture across the board if all goes well. My first step is to convert the script I use to populate the dev / test DBs with production data. It's currently largely using MySQL Enterprise Backup, with mysqldump to preserve some environment-specific schemas. I have some basic questions, as I get started:
First, looking through the documentation and examples, some use innobackupex, while others use xtrabackup. In the current version, is there a difference between these, and if so, what?

The current process backups up the environment-specific data, wipes out the existing data and logs, then creates a backup of productions, streams it across via ssh, restores it on the target, restores the preserved data, and re-deploys the stored procs / functions from SVN. When working with a cluster as the target, what's the most efficient process for doing this? Assume no other traffic is hitting it at the time, as we shut down access during a sync. If I refresh one machine and leave the others alone, will the changes correctly replicate across, or do I need to wipe them all?