Not the answer you need?
Register and ask your own question!

Issue with monitoring service on MongoDB

Hello,

I am new to MongoDB and am setting up the PMM client on a 3-node cluster for the first time. On the first node I am working on, I got the linux metrics monitoring to work with no issues. But I am having trouble getting the mongodb:metrics service into a Running state.

When I run pmm-admin list, it shows the service at not running. I have tried numerous commands to get the service to start. Each time I run one of the below commands, I see a return message stating "OK, started mongodb:metrics service for <servername>"

These are the commands I have run so far:

pmm-admin add mongodb:metrics

pmm-admin add mongodb:metrics --uri mongodb://dbuser:<password>@0.0.0.0:27017/admin --cluster rs0

pmm-admin add mongodb:metrics --uri mongodb://dbuser:<password>@localhost:27017/admin --cluster rs0

I verified I can log into the Mongo instance using the dbusert account, which has admin privileges.

I have also run the start command numerous times, but am seeing the same results.

Any help with this would be appreciated- Thanks

Comments

• MykolaMykola Percona Percona Staff Role
    can you try start service by the following line?
    pmm-admin start mongodb:metrics

• rfinnertywurfinnertywu Entrant Current User Role Beginner
    Thanks Mykola- I have tried that several times, but did not work. I just tried again and get this message: OK, started mongodb:metrics service

but the service still showing as not running.

I am seeing this in the mongodb metrics log:

E0413 16:23:36.979584 381 server_status.go:126] Failed to get server status.
    panic: collector has no descriptors

Thanks,

Ron
    Hi Ron,

I am trying to reproduce issue, what mongodb version do you use?

maybe I'll prepare some custom patch with better error debug output on the next week...
    Hi Mykola,

We are using version 3.2.11. Please let me know if you need any additional information

Ron
    Hi Ron,

I started MongoDB from this rpm https://repo.mongodb.org/yum/redhat/7/mongodb-org/3.2/x86_64/RPMS/mongodb-org-3.2.11-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
    after that I created user
    echo 'db.createUser({user: "someuser", pwd: "somepass", roles: [ { role: "userAdmin", db: "admin" } ] })' \
        | mongo localhost:27017/admin

and checked credentials by this command
    echo 'db.runCommand( { serverStatus: 1, recordStats: 0 } )' \
        | mongo --username someuser --password somepass --host localhost --port 27017 --authenticationDatabase admin

and succesfully configured pmm by this command
    pmm-admin add mongodb --cluster somecluster --uri someuser:somepass&#64;localhost:27017 some-instance

can you try these commands on your system?
    Hi Mykola,

After running the above commands, I think the issue is with the privileges granted to the userAdmin role on the servers here. It looks like there are no privileges assigned to this role- I am not sure if this is by default or was done by the initial installer.

I have not been able to find a listing of the privileges needed for the pmm db user - do you have this info handy?

Thanks,

Ron
    can you try command from mongodb_exporter documentation?
    db.getSiblingDB("admin").createUser({
        user: "mongodb_exporter",
        pwd: "s3cr3tpassw0rd",
        roles: [
            { role: "clusterMonitor", db: "admin" },
            { role: "read", db: "local" }
        ]
    })

source https://github.com/percona/mongodb_exporter#usage
    Hi Mykola- I actually went ahead and granted the privileges in your above command to my pmm user and it works now. Thank you very much for the assistance!

Ron
    Ron, thank you

Tim created ticket about improving documentation - PMM-785
    so it will improved in future :)
    Great- thanks again for the help!

Ron