Not the answer you need?
Register and ask your own question!

Percona 5.7 and mysql-common

smaressmares EntrantInactive User Role Beginner
Is it safe to run percona-server-server-5.7 alongside mysql-common and libmysqlclient18 which are required by postfix-mysql and dovecot-mysql? Can the two communicate with the Percona server?

Comments

• vadimtkvadimtk Contributor Percona Staff Role
    There is no problem in the mix-and-match different packages, as long it is the same major version (5.7)
  • smaressmares Entrant Inactive User Role Beginner
    OK, since you mentioned it has to be the same major version, I went ahead and wanted to install mysql-common 5.7 using the MySQL apt repo, but that won't work.
    root@smares:/etc# sudo apt-get install postfix-mysql
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      libjemalloc1 percona-server-common-5.7
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      libmysqlclient18 mysql-common
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      percona-server-client-5.7 percona-server-server-5.7 percona-server-tokudb-5.7
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      libmysqlclient18 mysql-common postfix-mysql
    0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B/1.022 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 212 MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
    Abort.

It does work though if I use the MySQL version provided by Debian directly which is a 5.5.
    I think it's related to libmysqlclient18. With the MySQL apt repository and set to MySQL 5.7, libmysqlclient18 would provide 5.7.5-m15-2debian8. Without the MySQL repository relying on Debian's packages, it would provide 5.5.
    Percona has different libperconaserverclient per version, 18 for 5.5, 18.1 for 5.6 and 20 for 5.7. Since postfix-mysql requires libmysqlclient18, I can either go with libmysqlclient18 from Debian giving me 5.5 or libperconaserverclient18 giving me also 5.5. Would that connect to a 5.7 server at all?
    Since I cannot edit my previous post (or don't see how), just wanted to drop a short update that libperconaserverclient18 does NOT provide libmysqlclient18 so my only option is to use the libmysqlclient18 from the MySQL 5.5 Debian package.