Notification of table crashes

I can’t seem to find info on a tool or methodology for being easily notified when MySQL has table crashes.

It seems wrong for the web application or whatever is connecting to MySQL to have to have built in handlers for every query to detect whether some table has crashed and notify someone about it… shouldn’t there be some low level support for this right in MySQL?

We turned on error logging and can get some of the crashed tables to show up in the error log, but even then you would have to run something to watch the log and notify you. That would be better than nothing, but I don’t find documentation on this kind of thing either in MySQL’s documentation, or being mentioned in other sources.

Are MySQL System Administrators being slighted by the developers?

Am I missing something obvious?

[B]dangby[/B]
We turned on error logging and can get some of the crashed tables to show up in the error log, but even then you would have to run something to watch the log and notify you. That would be better than nothing, but I don't find documentation on this kind of thing either in MySQL's documentation, or being mentioned in other sources.
Normal [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_network_monitoring_systems"]Network Monitoring[/URL] operation to read log files and send alerts whenever a configured string occurs. And there are also monitoring plugins that issue SQL queries against the database. So that you can test with a query and see that the database works. Your web application should not have care about this as you said yourself.
[B]dangby wrote on Tue, 21 April 2009 21:12[/B]

Am I missing something obvious?

Why do you have so many table crashes?

I would focus on trying to figure out why you have so many table crashes (if that is a big problem for you). Try to find the root cause and see if you can fix it. Either if it is a OS thing or a newer version of MySQL that could be the solution.

We don’t have that many table crashes, but we do have one a month or something, which is usually caused by a power failure or some such thing.

However, it still seems obvious to me that there isn’t as much support built right into MySQL for notifications of the crashes. As I said, we’ve had them crash and not even be logged in the error log. Also, the fast/quick checks that are available via mysqladmin or whatever it is are limited in what they report. It seems like it ought to be one of the first requirements of writing a database that the logging/notification of errors be handled correctly… I just don’t think that MySQL has realized that they’ve left out that big feature. The logging ought to always work if there is a problem. You’d think there would even be support for configuring automatic repair attempts with notification of the result.