Finding source of *massive Traffic*

Hello,

I got a little Problem here … Scenario:
Server 1: HTTP Server where our CMS is
Server 2: MySQL Server of the CMS

Sometimes (a few Times a Week) we got MASSIVE Traffic Spikes between those 2 Servers. (200-300 MBit for 1-2 Minutes) and I’m unable to find the Source of those massive Traffic Spikes … My guess is that there is a Bogus-Query which fetches a very Big Resultset … but I was not able to find such a Query. (Not to wonder with xxx.xxx Queries within the CMS …)
Already tried it with the Slow-Query-Log, with Peak Memory Monitoring within PHP, … but no luck yet.

Now I wanted to ask if there is some possibility to monitor/log if MySQL delivers such a big Resultset - and if - which Query triggered it …

Hope someone here can help me with this?!

Thank you, bye from sunny Austria
Andreas Schnederle-Wagner

really noone?! :-/

According to me, if peak time is predictable ; it could be easy to tcpdump on port 3306 during the peak and after analyze data pt-query-digest.
you can find an example here : [url]http://www.percona.com/doc/percona-toolkit/2.2/pt-query-digest.html[/url]

unfortunately those Times are completely random … sometimes 1-2 weeks no spike - then 3-4 Spikes within one day …
As there is generally lot’s of Traffic to/from this MySQL Server - TCPDUMP would be pretty big … :wink: