Not the answer you need?
Register and ask your own question!

MySQL service no longer starts after installation of XtraBackup

sojaducanasojaducana EntrantCurrent User Role Beginner
I wanted to follow this guide in setting up a new node to be added to the cluster.

http://www.percona.com/blog/2012/08/02/avoiding-sst-when-adding-new-percona-xtradb-cluster-node/

After installing XtraBackup from apt,
found out that the MySQL service was stopped. Tried running the service again using

[code]

or

[code]service mysql start

but it still won't start. No error feedback after running the command. I also don't see any errors being generated in the logs after running the command.

From the logs (I believe after installing XtraBackup):

... clip ...

Is the issue with MySQL service not starting a direct result of installing XtraBackup? Why?

Comments

• przemekprzemek Percona Support Engineer Percona Staff Role
    Why did you specify? PXC 5.6 requires Xtrabackup 2.2.x.
    See what happens when I try to install this old version on my test debian box:
    root@vagrant-debian-wheezy:~# dpkg -l|grep -i perc
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ii  percona-xtrabackup                 2.2.5-5027-1.wheezy           amd64        Open source backup tool for InnoDB and XtraDB
    ii  percona-xtradb-cluster-client-5.6  5.6.20-25.7-886.wheezy        amd64        Percona XtraDB Cluster database client binaries
    ii  percona-xtradb-cluster-common-5.6  5.6.20-25.7-886.wheezy        amd64        Percona XtraDB Cluster database common files (e.g. /etc/mysql/my.cnf)
    ii  percona-xtradb-cluster-galera-3.x  3.7.3256.wheezy               amd64        Galera components of Percona XtraDB Cluster
    ii  percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.6  5.6.20-25.7-886.wheezy        amd64        Percona XtraDB Cluster database server binaries

root@vagrant-debian-wheezy:~# apt-get install percona-xtrabackup-21
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      lsof percona-xtradb-cluster-client-5.6 percona-xtradb-cluster-common-5.6 percona-xtradb-cluster-galera-3.x rsync socat
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    [B]The following packages will be REMOVED:[/B]
      percona-xtrabackup percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.6
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      percona-xtrabackup-21
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 2 to remove and 41 not upgraded.
    Need to get 8,521 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 64.8 MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Basically, if I would agree, PXC will be removed. I suggest to read the apt messages more thoroughly in the future.