diff

I cannot get the following to work:

pt-config-diff --defaults-file=/mampstack/mypercdvd.cnf D=metasearch D=metasrcha

(the databases are correct, and available to user as specified in mypercdvd.cnf)

I cannot figure out how to get a ‘verbose’ thingy going on this command, but stdout is:

me:~ me$ pt-config-diff --defaults-file=/mampstack/mypercdvd.cnf D=metasearch D=metasrcha
DBI connect(‘metasearch;mysql_read_default_file=/mampstack/mypercdvd.cnf;mysql_read_default_group=client’,‘’,…) failed: Access denied for user ‘me’@‘localhost’ (using password: NO) at /usr/local/bin/pt-config-diff line 2055.

I correct the username, and get no output:
me:~ me$ pt-config-diff --defaults-file=/mampstack/mypercdvd.cnf D=metasearch,u=dvd,p=XXX D=metasrcha,u=dvd,p=XXX

I compare entirely different databases, and get no output:
me:~ me$ pt-config-diff --defaults-file=/mampstack/mypercdvd.cnf D=metasearch,u=dvd,p=XXX D=topic3d,u=dvd,p=XXX

I set the username and password in a cnf file, in sections [mysql] and [client] (duplicated values) and get no output:
me:~ me$ pt-config-diff --defaults-file=/mampstack/mypercdvd.cnf D=metasearch D=topic3d

me:~ me$ pt-config-diff --defaults-file=/mampstack/mypercdvd.cnf D=metasearch D=metasrcha

The following command works very nearly perfectly:

pt-mysql-summary --config=/usr/local/mysql/my.cnf --defaults-file=/mampstack/mypercdvd.cnf --all-databases

Please tell me how to obtain a verbose log on pt-config-diff, and how to perfect my pt-config-diff commands above.
Thx

(btw, I think this is a great toolkit!)

D

What is it you are actually attempting to do? The command you are running is logically trying to diff the config of the same MySQL instance with itself (you’re just giving it two database names, not two hosts). pt-config-diff is used to compare the configs of two different hosts, or option files.

Take a look at the three examples in the manual; they are pretty straight forward as far as comparing two hosts, two option files, or a host and an option file:

[url]http://www.percona.com/doc/percona-toolkit/2.1/pt-config-diff.html[/url]