Not the answer you need?
Register and ask your own question!
Many Forum changes were implemented on Tue 22 Sep. Read about new Ranks, Scoring, and Reactions.
Email [email protected] for any comments or concerns.

Mysql foreign keys error when trying to partition the table

rreddyrreddy ContributorCurrent User Role Beginner
Hi, I am trying to do few things together in one ALTER statement on a table that is not referenced by any other tables, NO child tables.

1. Drop foreign keys.
2. Drop primary key, add new primary key that also includes the partition key ( id, when_logged)
3. Range partition the table using when_logged partition key.

Here is the problem, I am unable to do all of these in one shot, mysql gives a strange error which is unrelated to the work I am doing as the table that I am modifying is not referenced by any other table, but the alter fails with this statement.

"Cannot delete or update a parent row: a foreign key constraint fails "

ALTER TABLE CSR_AUDIT_LOG_TEST DROP FOREIGN KEY CSR_AUDIT_LOG_TEST_ibfk_1,DROP FOREIGN KEY CSR_AUDIT_LOG_TEST_ibfk_2, DROP FOREIGN KEY CSR_AUDIT_LOG_TEST_ibfk_3, DROP FOREIGN KEY CSR_AUDIT_LOG_TEST_ibfk_4,DROP PRIMARY KEY, ADD PRIMARY KEY(ID, WHEN_LOGGED)
PARTITION BY RANGE (to_days(WHEN_LOGGED))
( PARTITION p200701 VALUES LESS THAN (to_days('2007-02-01')) ENGINE = InnoDB,
PARTITION p200702 VALUES LESS THAN (to_days('2007-03-01'))
ENGINE = InnoDBPARTITION pMAX VALUES LESS THAN MAXVALUE ENGINE = InnoDB);

But when I breakdown my ALTER into two statements, it runs fine, so I do all my DROP foreign key and primary key related changes in one go and partitioning in one go , I can make these changes.

Not sure why my initial ALTER statement fails with unrelated error message.
Info

Table: CSR_AUDIT_LOG_TEST
Create Table: CREATE TABLE `CSR_AUDIT_LOG_TEST` (
`ID` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
`CZEN_USER_ID` int(10) unsigned DEFAULT NULL,
`MEMBER_ID` int(10) unsigned DEFAULT NULL,
`ACTION` varchar(50) NOT NULL,
`WHEN_LOGGED` datetime NOT NULL,
`BUCKET_TYPE` enum('GENERAL_INFO','SERVICE_PROFILE','REFERENCE', 'PHOTO','RECORDED_REFERENCE','REVIEW','VIDEO','JOB ','CARE_ON_CALL_JOB','EXCHANGE_AD','BACKGROUND_CHE CK','BASIC_BACKGROUND_CHECK','EMPLOYER_JOB','RESUM E','CARE_GROUP','LEAD_GEN_PARTNER_LOCATION','LEAD_ GEN_PARTNER_LOCATION_PROFILE','LOCATION_PROFILE_IM AGE','LOCATION_PROFILE_SPECIAL_OFFER','LOCATION_PR OFILE_MULTIPLE_PHOTO','RECRUITMENT_PROFILE','RECRU ITMENT_JOB','WRITTEN_REFERENCE','MEMBER_HIRE') NOT NULL,
`BUCKET_ID` int(10) unsigned DEFAULT NULL COMMENT 'id of the bucket',
`APPROVAL_STATUS` enum('pending','pendAudit','reviewed','approved',' rejected','clearedForSafety') DEFAULT NULL,
`SERVICE_ID` varchar(9) DEFAULT NULL,
`REASON_CODE` varchar(20) DEFAULT NULL,
`BUCKET_CHANGE_STATUS` varchar(20) DEFAULT NULL COMMENT 'the status of the bucket, can be NEW or ACTIVE',
`BUCKET_CHANGE_XML` varchar(10000) DEFAULT NULL,
`MEMBER_CHANGE_STATUS` varchar(20) DEFAULT NULL COMMENT 'the status of the member, can be NEW or ACTIVE',
`BUCKET_REVIEW_TIME` int(10) unsigned DEFAULT NULL COMMENT 'Stores the time taken to review the bucket by CSR in milliseconds',
`CZEN_USER_SHIFT_ID` int(10) unsigned DEFAULT NULL COMMENT 'CSR Shift in which this log got created',
PRIMARY KEY (`ID`),
KEY `CZEN_USER_ID` (`CZEN_USER_ID`),
KEY `MEMBER_ID` (`MEMBER_ID`),
KEY `SERVICE_ID` (`SERVICE_ID`),
KEY `CZEN_USER_SHIFT_ID` (`CZEN_USER_SHIFT_ID`),
KEY `IX_WHEN_LOGGED` (`WHEN_LOGGED`),
CONSTRAINT `CSR_AUDIT_LOG_TEST_ibfk_1` FOREIGN KEY (`CZEN_USER_ID`) REFERENCES `CZEN_USER` (`ID`),
CONSTRAINT `CSR_AUDIT_LOG_TEST_ibfk_2` FOREIGN KEY (`MEMBER_ID`) REFERENCES `MEMBER` (`ID`),
CONSTRAINT `CSR_AUDIT_LOG_TEST_ibfk_3` FOREIGN KEY (`SERVICE_ID`) REFERENCES `SERVICE` (`ID`),
CONSTRAINT `CSR_AUDIT_LOG_TEST_ibfk_4` FOREIGN KEY (`CZEN_USER_SHIFT_ID`) REFERENCES `CZEN_USER_SHIFT` (`ID`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB AUTO_INCREMENT=117808378 DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 COMMENT='Audit log for changes made by a CSR to a member account'
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Comments

• niljoshiniljoshi MySQL Sage Inactive User Role Beginner
    Hi,

Can you tell me which MySQL/PS version you are using? Can you also provide "SHOW ENGINE INNODB STATUS" while you are getting that error? Because you can obtain a detailed explanation of the most recent InnoDB foreign key error by checking the output of SHOW ENGINE INNODB STATUS. error.log will be also helpful to troubleshoot the issue.